Thursday, July 01, 2004

The Diary of a Miss Hong Kong Finalist - Entry #08 (Grand Finale)



July 8, 2004

Dear Diary,

Kelly Lam Lo Yuk has died! She's been dead since July 1, 2004. Ah Yuk died horribly by getting hit by the same van twice. No, the van wasn't white like usual, this time it was cream! Ah Yuk bled to death without a single soul to help her as the van ran off. Ever since her death, Ah Yuk has been awarded a memorial from Miss Hong Kong as a contestant who gave it her all but fate was cruel and took her away before she could compete. "Perhaps she might have won..." they said. But then again, everyone says nice things about dead people. Everyone in Hong Kong has been talking about Ah Yuk these days and she's scoring headlines after headlines each day in the presses. She's so popular with the news that she has overshadowed their interest with Deep Ng's drug problems. Em doesn't even bother to translate Ah Yuk's news anymore at her TVBspace News Roundup! In fact, she skips it and doesn't even bother to glance at it despite many people requesting for Ah Yuk's news on her tagboard. Just goes to show you how overly promoted she is now. Too bad Ah Yuk only lived to endure the bad fame and never got to bathe in this good fame and light.

The person who's writing to you now is a new, reborn Kelly Lam Yuk Lo. After that incident with Ah Mei, I woke up in the hospital and a crowd of people were silenting watching me and crying. I heard whispers asking "Is Ah Lo dead? What are we going to do? We can't go on without her. If she goes, we go cause she can't ever be replaced." I blinked my eyes and everyone was delighted to see that I had awoken that they cried tears of bliss. "Thank goodness Ah Lo is awake!" I stared blankly at them, "Who are you guys?" The crowd was horrified and speculated that I had lost my memories and wondered if I could be as good as I was before.

I picked up a magazine and was shocked at the cover. The death of #19 Kelly Lo Yuk brings her a special award and picture of "my" funeral?! Over to the side was a picture of myself with Ah Mei on top of the roof and another picture of a long chain of people dangling from the side of the same building. The preview read TVB has filmed the first dangerous scene without any extras, stunt doubles, and NGs! I was so confused. A girl asked me, "Ah Lo, are you starting to remember?"

"I... I remember this rooftop with Ah Mei and I remember seeing Ah Yuet holding onto my leg and after that..."

The girl smiled, "At least you still remember some stuff. Do you know that your performance that day was so real that there was no NGs? The director was shocked that you didn't request for a stunt double and he was more shocked how realistically and perfectly everything was shot. Do you remember who you are? Where you're from?"

I shook my head, making everyone disappointed. They continued to talk whether I could be replaced. I asked the girl, "Who am I? If you tell me I might remember."

"You're the TVB actress Kelly Lam Yuk Lo from the hit "Virtues of Harmony." You entered TVB after Kam Yat introduced you and her entire family and friends into playing the characters on the TV show since the original cast had gotten too popular and busy that they didn't want to play anymore. Especially that Bondy Chiu Hok Yee, the girl you replaced. I personally think you are a much better Ah Lo than her."

It was at that moment that I realized they mistaken me for Kelly Lam Yuk Lo, who I resemble identically! "So, is Ah Mei dead?"

"You mean Sek Mei? No, don't worry about that. The car had been messed around with to ensure that she would get the least injuries from it. Besides, she was wearing protection. She's in the room next door with a few scratches and cuts, but she's all right."

"So everything that happened that day on the roof was filmed?"

The girl nods. After that day, I found myself in the whirlwind life of celebrity Lam Yuk Lo. I kept making more money and filming more episodes and my popularity rose after my "realistic" and "natural" scene on the rooftop. Perhaps it's not exactly 'my' life, it's Ah Lo, but she's dead. Maybe it's fate that we traded lives. Everyday I have something to look forward to now and everyday I have a reason to live.

As long as there's life, there's hope and one should live for himself or herself. I discovered that I can live without being married or dating. It's true that money doesn't buy happiness, but it makes sadness a lot easier to bare, that's for sure!

Because I had "lost my memory" no one suspects that I'm not the real Ah Lo because after all, I give such a natural performance and I look and act exactly like her. I visited "Ah Yuk"'s grave today and I cried. I felt so bad for stealing her life, but what could I do? I couldn't possibly say that I was Ah Yuk could I? Especially after all the deals, money, and fame that I got. Sometimes I think back and wonder if it was all destined that I took over Ah Lo's life... is this the life God had wanted me to take over?

Am I the murderer who indirectly killed Ah Lo? But then again, I had nothing to do with the van driver. Should I confess to everyone that I'm not really Ah Lo? I guess time will tell whether or not this life is for me and whether God has decided this or not. Miss Hong Kong is still going on and the battle is heating up. I wonder who is going to win, but I'm glad that I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Cheers to my reincarnation, Diary!

Forever your best friend,

Kelly