Friday, May 28, 2004

The Diary of a Miss Hong Kong Finalist - Entry #05



May 20, 2004

Dear Diary,

I just had my first taste at filming today! I was filming in TVCity for my promotional clip and let's just say I had as much NGs as Linda Chung did during her first filming of "VOH 2." Needless to say I was very embarrassed and my filming took the longest, but fortunately I was the last one to go anyway. What? You want to know what my outfit looks like and what I filmed? I'm sorry, Diary, but by TVB law I will not give such spoilers! I refuse to be like Moses Chan, Gigi Lai, and Charmaine Sheh during the filming of "War and Beauty" and give out all the secrets and effort TVB has put into my promotional clip! Even though you are my very best friend, you will have to wait as well!

After I finished filming, they made me wear a big overcoat to cover up my costume for the clip. With the luck I have, naturally there was only 1 bright yellow coat left. So what can I do? I walk out and try to run away from the press like #09 Lulu Ng and say I had to go to the bathroom, but then I remembered how she got scolded at, so I stopped and smiled at the press and greeted them. Of course they asked for pictures and like vultures, they kept hitting me with more and more questions.

One reporter said to me, "What's your name? Isn't it Kelly Lam Lo Yuk?"

I answered, "Yes, sir, I am #19 Kelly Lam Lo Yuk."

"Well you sure aren't being very lo yuk! #07 Tiffany Leong is definitely more 'lo yuk' than you!"

"What?" With that, I was met with much laughter from the media. My cheeks turned bright red and I asked "What's so funny?" I was thinking they were laughing at my attire and how I resembled a big yellow banana. Thank goodness I don't have a mushroom haircut like Auntie Sa Sa or else I would never have lived it down! But then I pondered why they had mentioned Tiffany and wondered if they were teasing me for not being flirty enough, so I started to flash my eyes at them and stand in a daring and sexy matter.

"Miss Lam, what are you doing?"

"Well, you guys said I wasn't being very 'lo yuk' like my name, so I thought you wanted me to be more flirty like Tiffany... after all she's 'Miss Flirtatious' of this year's pageant!"

"Your Cantonese isn't very good, like most of the other contestants this year, is it?"

"I really don't understand what you guys are saying." But they just laughed while I stood still there smiling from ear to ear, waiting for them to let me go.

It wasn't until I talked with Auntie Sa Sa later on that I realized what exactly the press was teasing me about. "Ah Yuk, you really don't understand their joke at you?"

"No, I don't auntie."

She laughs before she explains, "The word 'lo yuk' sounds like 'revealing flesh,' so that's why they said you weren't being like your name because you were all bundled up!" She starts cracking up, "The HK media sure is great!"

My cheeks turned pink from embarassment and I felt like Bernice Liu after being teased last July by the media about Juno Mak's investigation by ICAC. How can I be so stupid? Knowing Tiffany, of course I should have realized that the press was looking for me to open up my jacket and reveal my hourglass figure!

The competition is only starting and already the press has managed to poke fun at me! I really hope the gossip and jokes about me by the media will not grow any bigger or else I will lose MHK for sure!