Friday, May 28, 2004

The Diary of a Miss Hong Kong Finalist - Entry #06



May 26, 2004

Dear Diary,

No longer do I have to stay with that annoying Ah Yat! They've arranged for us to stay at the apartments in Gold Coast now. Actually, Diary, I kind of miss Ah Yat after all. Now that she's not around, I have no one to bicker constantly with about everything and anything. But I guess I should get to know the other girls better anyway.

I've started to talk to 'Miss Gossip' #11 Devily Leung and she is quite the sweetheart! She's very cute and it's unfortunate the nasty HK press has caused so much rumors, gossip, and bad press about her! Speaking of Devily though, who would name herself "Devily"? Is she trying to hint to us that her cute and innocent face is hiding a bunch of evil thoughts and that she's actually a little devil at heart? This world is getting too 'unique' and everyone is finding the common too predictable and plain, so everyone names their children weird names.... like "Apple."

Speaking of gossips, I have to start worrying about them as well. After that "lo yuk" incident, I've seen to become a second favorite of the press and they are always following me around! Just last week, I was out eating dinner with Ah Yat and she wasn't feeling well, so I was helping her home. The next day, I see the headline "#19 Kelly Lam Spotted With A Lesbian Lover!" and a whole article having quotes from experts examining pictures taken from my dinner with Ah Yat and basically just a bunch of crap. It turns out that Ah Yat has been frozen by TVB for her bad press and she keeps nagging at me about it. Hey, it's not my fault! Even if I was a lesbian, I would never pick Ah Yat! I'll go for someone much hotter... like Bernice Liu!

Then, 2 days ago, I was out shopping, by myself, of course to avoid any more unnecessary rumors. It turns out it's that "time of the month" soon and I need to buy "those" products. Then I realized I needed some new bras and panties, so I went into a really nice-looking, expensive lingerie store, using my credit card, which is already $5000 in debt, obviously. I walked home and was beaming because I thought I had escaped the press' eyes. Diary, I'm sure you can guess what happened the other day. I wake up to Ah Yat laughing and telling me to read the newspaper. Behold, the headline exclaims "A rich girl? #19 Kelly Lam only buys the very best!" I couldn't believe the pictures in the article! They were all candid shots of being buying tampons, bras, and panties! Even worse, the press actually went into the store and found out exactly the brand and type of everything I bought! Man, if I was rich, do you think I would be trying out for MHK to get a job?!

Even worse, today I read in the papers and once more, the press shouts "#19 Kelly Lam not following MHK rules and trying to turn herself into a pig!" with a big picture of me eating! What's next? Take a picture of me going to the bathroom and then printing out "#19 Kelly Lam suspected of questionable actions due to her frequent runs to the bathroom - alone"?!

I just don't know anymore Diary, I really don't. I try not to cause trouble, but the HK media just always somehow manages to turn the simplest, most innocent thing into something so outrageous! Yes, pity me and Devily!

Tomorrow I will finally be meeting with my heroine Miss Hong Kong 2003 Mandy Cho Man Lei (sarcastic tone, in case you didn't know Diary!). Hopefully I can be like her and keep up a fake smile in front of everyone, especially her! Who knows, maybe she will give me some tips!